For the Sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (I use a paste)
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (optional – makes it more tangy)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional – helps the sauce thicken)
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
- ½ cup lightly salted peanuts, chopped
- 6 ounces rice noodles
- 12 leaves of lettuce (I used Boston lettuce)
- chopped cilantro, green onions, and peanuts for topping
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour about ¾ of the sauce into a bowl with the ground chicken and peanuts. Stir to combine – marinate for 15 minutes.
- Soak the rice noodles in a large bowl of water while the meat is marinating. When the noodles are softened, drain and rinse with cold water. Cut into small pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the meat and peanut mixture and sauté for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Add the noodles and stir-fry for another 5 minutes or until soft, adding a splash of water, oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, or lime juice to moisten the pan as you see fit.
- Remove from heat, scoop mixture into lettuce leaves, top with cilantro, green onions, peanuts, and the reserved sauce.